Sunday, January 21, 2007

With Your Arms Around Your Girl You'd Try to Sing Along

A week ago Saturday, I went to see the Buffy Sing-Along. Me and about 700 of my closest friends. It was cold as tits that night, and apparently Buffy geeks love to drive, because there was no parking for blocks around the Music Box. After hauling my ass over there, snagging the will-call tix, and locating my peeps in line, we waited.

Managing to score some pretty good seats in the rear house left, we then 'enjoyed' an hour of Pre-Show. Bleaagh. It was poorly executed and understaffed, so despite the best intentions of the creator/emcee, we were all more than a little annoyed and anxious for the episode to start. Once it did? Magical. People were working their best RHPS moves on it, and it was amusing to hear what comebacks people came up with. My one big score, comeback-wise, was in the scene [SPOILER ALERT] where Dawn lets it drop to the flower-charmed Tara that Willow and T had been fighting (duh). After Tara leaves and just before Dawn sings her little pre-abduction "Lament," Dawn walks over to her jewelry box and pulls out the amulet she stole, the one that made Sweet come to Sunnydale. Knowing this was about to go down, I waited til Dawn turned to go to the jewelry box and shouted "Go look at the shit you stole!" -- much to the delight of those in earshot. If this thing does indeed become another RHPS, and that becomes an official comeback, know that it was me, ME! Mwahahaha!

The best part of the show (and one of my favorite moments, musically), was "Standing" -- Giles' solo (with slo-mo Buffy). They had everyone pull out there lighters (or, like the kids do nowadays at the rock shows, their cell phones), and sway them back and forth like they were at a Journey concert. [NOTE: Yes, I am old, and for some reason, waving your lighter makes me think of Journey. Suck it.] I wish this image properly conveyed how damn cool it looked, but it was pretty bad ass.

Other fun moments: Public acknowlegement of the "I'm not wearing underwear" line when Marni Noxon gets her ticket, the linguistics lesson wherein we learn that Spike and Angel have the same first name, and the plug for the
Slay-A-Thon annual watch-fest that benefits the Make-A-Wish foundation. Guess I know where I will be on August 4th! :)


No comments: