Saturday, May 17, 2008

Senses working overtime

I have this thing about being at work when I don't have to. It's kind of funny, considering that when I was 16-18, there was nothing more acceptable than visiting your place of employment on your day off, finding out who's around, hanging out, waiting for people to finish their shifts, etc. Now, some 20 years later, the last thing on gawd's green earth I want to do on my day off is go anywhere near work.

Case in point: There is an excellent upscale seafood restaurant near work -- one for which I have $300 in gift certificates. BHE wanted to go there for dinner this weekend -- I vetoed. This seems to translate to people too: I spotted one of my co-workers at Target this afternoon, with her back to me, shopping for clothed. I walked on. It wasn't that I wanted to blow her off, or that I dislike her... I simply wanted to keep that separation. Today is one of two days that she doesn't have to see me, and that I don't have to see her. While I have no problem making plans to hang with a co-worker on my day off, running into them feels like going to work.

It probably has something to do with the fact that, during the summer, I can often be there 7 days a week. This year, more so than in years past, I am hanging onto the off-season vibe as long as I can, postponing the in-season stressors. Seeing co-workers randomly on my day off is too much like work, too much a reminder of being in-season. So, a little guiltily, I walked on by.

No comments: