Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Blues wrapped around my head

Stuck with a loathesome cold since Sunday/Monday -- left sinus blocked, left ear blocked, sometimes also popping in my right ear. No real cough, nothing weird about my sinuses that lead me to believe that I have an infection as of yet, but it SUCKS. Especially when I have no energy, or when people talk to me and I can't hear them.

Have you ever been asked if you'd rather be blind or deaf? It's one of those "What if?" questions kids ask one another... I still don't know the answer to that question definitively. I suspect I'd rather be deaf, but I've had experiences with (mercifully) temporary hearing loss, and it was immensely frustrating. As much as I love to read and watch movies, I have to think sight would be the bigger loss for me, but my love of music would be the toughest part of deafness. I also have to think that loss of hearing would still leave you more able in the world than loss of sight.

Guess maybe I should have stuck with ASL classes when I took them, in case this cold takes a turn for the worse. Am suspecting that being able to finger-spell and sign the colors blue and green will be insufficient.

No comments: