Friday, January 18, 2008

You don't know what I got

Today it was cab #5249. I was immediately struck by how clean the cab was, and the lack of center divider. I got in, gave my destination, and away we went.

"So, you're off on Monday?"

This is the kind of random cab driver question that creeps me out. I never know whether to tell the truth ("yes") or to lie ("no, they're expecting me back in an hour, so don't try to dismember me and bury my corpse in a shallow grave out by the forest preserve"). In this case I weighed his race (indeterminate Asian*), his demeanor (pleasant, genuine) and his radio selection (Esquivel on the true oldies station) against any potential danger, and opted for the truth.

"No one will be downtown on Monday... no one needs cab."

Okay, now we're getting into another potential weird area: Discussing his potential lack of business. When cabbies launch into lines of conversation such as this and/or issues of personal hardship, I can never tell if this is innocuous small talk, or if this is a ploy to garner a bigger tip. I usually close off at this point, and this was no exception. My hamartia? When not able to choose well, choosing inertia.

Digression: In the "Passengers Bill of Rights" lies the statement There is no extra charge to pay by credit card or for assistance with your baggage. "Kindly asian driver, would you assist me? I have daddy issues, trust issues, low self esteem**, and did I mention my hamartia?"

Eventually, Esquivel gave way to "Little Deuce Coupe" and the conversation sprung up again: This time about the weather (five degrees is COLD), and local cable/internet/phone providers (RCN rules). As we pull up to by building, I pay the man (exact change, tipping him well) and thank him.

"Have a good day! Don't forget about Hillary! Vote... woman..."
I don't hear the rest (I try not to listen) as I pile out of the cab. The presumption pissed me off, and I stomped up my front steps muttering "I'm not voting for Hillary! Not unless I have to."

Cab #5249, ladies and gentlemen.

* I apologize for not knowing what his exact ethnicity was. Not only did I never see him full-face, but I am admittedly bad with knowing the differing facial characteristics of most Asian cultures. Besides, my bigger point here was that most serial killers are white males, not Asian. So suck it.

** While working at a mental health center, I spotted on an intake form "I hope to gain some self of steam." Best. Ever.

No comments: