Saturday, March 08, 2008

I just want to be your one-man band

So, many friends know that my favorite "game" is 'Band Name or Album Title?' -- many prefer the standby 'Gay or European?' and many improviser buddies view everything as a potential Team Name, but being a music junkie I view unique turns-of-phrase as potential band names or album titles. For example, when one of the facilities managers I used to work talked about the "new-style turners" he was going to install, in my mind I said "band name." By contrast, the phrase "All New Sunday" at the bottom of my TV screen right now seems more like an Album Title. Maybe even the new album by the New-Style Turners -- too many 'new's there, though. Save that album for another band.

Knowing all this, you can then imagine my delight when I stumbled across this:

Let's Make a Band (Meme)


1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
The first article title on the page is the name of your band.

2. http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php3
The last four words of the very last quote is the title of your album.

3. http://www.flickr.com/explore/interesting/7days/
The third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.


My results?

Band Name: North Humberside
AlbumTitle: Every Ill-Judged Outlay
Cover image:












The album:













I love love love this! If I was feeling really retento, and had come up with a particularly good combination of Band Name and Album Title, I would sometimes try to think of what the song titles were for that album (or at least the hit single), and try to pinpoint what the band's sound was. To me, "North Humberside" seems kind of Guster-y -- you? What do you think their sound is? Suggested track names?

No comments: