Monday, March 31, 2008

It's our time to shine

Has anyone checked out the new Yahoo! portal for women, Shine? According to the article in Information Week, "Yahoo said the site will have "attitude," "personality," and humor, while providing advice and secret tips like "a friend."

BLEAAAAGH!

Read it, by all means. Check it out. My overwhelming reaction as I flip through the pages is "You don't know me!" I can't figure out if I think this thing is written by actually women, or by men pretending to be women, giving women 'what they want.' It reads like the chick-lit parodical bastard child of those 'Men Seeking Women' ads where the guy claims he looooves 'long moonlit walks on the beach.' I cry shenanigans. It's horrible, complete with fake girl-speak. Hopefully it's just finding it's voice and will improve in time, like Buffy and ST:NG. Or maybe they'll just find some better writers. Preferably human females.

Hey, maybe it's written by fembots?! If that's the case, I may have to reverse my position on this whole thing -- love me some fembots. Loved me some Sarah Corvus, too, but I have to say I missed the old-school fembots on the recent Bionic Woman remake. Less Jamie Sommers, more Sarah Corvus, add some fembots and a dash of Oscar Goldman? TV gold.

No comments: