Tuesday, April 01, 2008

He didn't give them any voice

Sad news today. As I mentioned in this post, Roger Ebert was to have surgery to (amongst other things) restore his voice. Alas, it did not. Apparently his surgery in Houston this January resulted in complications, and his speech was not restored (another surgery would be needed).

In a letter he wrote the Sun-Times, he said he would not be able to return to his TV show, "but I still have all my other abilities, including the love of viewing movies and writing about them."

But here's the part that got me: Although he's currently still free of the cancers that have plagued him over the past six years or so, he is not ready to even think about having more surgery at this time, and wrote "I should be content with the abundance I have."

We should all be so lucky.

No comments: